Join the Help Session Team to peer tutor for math courses! If you are interested in becoming a tutor, first make sure you fulfill the requirements below.
Qualifications for MLC Math Tutors are:
- 3.0 cumulative GPR at time of employment.
- Earned grade of A or B in the class for which you are applying to be a MLC Math Tutor.
- Earned a grade of A or B for any prerequisites for the class for which you are applying to be a MLC Math Tutor.
- Be enrolled as an undergraduate at Texas A&M University, all majors are encouraged to apply.
- Be available to work 6 to 20 hours per week.
- Work-Study recipients welcome, but not required
While in this position, each student assistant will:
- Articulate mathematical thoughts clearly and effectively in written form.
- Think critically and adequately assess other student's work.
- Communicate effectively in a professional setting
- Consider different points of view
- Demonstrate intellectual curiosity
- Plan, organize, and prioritize work
- Leadership opprotunities are available!
- Initial Application Review: Only those students who meet the qualifications and have coursework complete will be invited to continue in the application process.
- Online or Face to Face Interview: You will be invited to interview via email. To prepare for the interview, you should download the set of problems that correspond to the math course for which you are applying to be a MLC Math Tutor. The interview panel will ask you to present a few problems from the set. You are encouraged to bring any notes that will assist your explanations. The panel will assess your presentation and organization skills, ability to communicate mathematics, your preparation to "teach" the problems and mathematical accuracy.
- Offer of Employment: You will be notified and receive a formal job offer via email. At this step, you will also be asked to provide your availability.
If you would like to apply for a MLC Math Tutor position, click here for the MLC Application form